Tuesday, August 12, 2008

feelin' lucky

Good news! Last week I had an interview for a therapist position at a local sexual assault victim's advocacy center. I was really excited when I learned they were hiring, and even more excited at getting an interview! I really want to be working with post-traumatic stress disorder, so this was perfect. I had the interview on Friday, and it went really well. So well, that the interviewer called Friday night to schedule me for a second interview. I had that this morning, and it seemed to go even better than the interview on Friday. So now its a waiting game, but the good news is that they are hoping to make a decision by this Friday, so I'll hopefully learn something by the end of the week. The other good news is that the women's domestic violence shelter I interviewed with a few weeks ago is checking my references (as one of them let me know), so something could work out there too. Thank goodness! I'm starting to feel like something's going to work out soon!

To prepare for the interview last week, I was doing some research on my laptop, and preparing answers to possible interview questions. It was a phone interview, so I was counting on the fact that I could refer to the pages on my laptop if needed. Using a breakfast tray and sipping coffee, I got a little distracted and set my coffee on the tray while I shifted positions...and there went my coffee all over my laptop. Now, most people, when things like this happen, have a quick reaction time and can respond instantly. Me on the other hand, I tend to freeze and watch it as if it's happening in slow motion. So I'm seeing coffee sink into the keyboard while exclaiming several explatives, and then begin to hear a sizzle. My laptop is sizzling, and slowly the picture fades...and it's dead. This is the point where I begin to react. A little late, but its there. Several paper towels, hair drying, shaking it upside down and phone calls later, I learn that I've probably fried the mother board and it may cost anywhere between $300-$700 to fix and not to touch it for 2 days to let it dry out. Needless to say, I did not have my lap top for the interview, and I had to wing it. Luckily, I have somewhat of an ability to memorize things quickly, and this came in handy.

Next came the point where I had to tell my husband that I may have just ruined my laptop. We've talked about getting me a new laptop at some point, this time a Mac, but this is still a few years off. I know he's going to think I'm scheming to try and get a new laptop. This is also after I've lost my wedding rings in our SUV and he's had to tear the thing apart in order to find them (and he did). Something that had he not been able to do it, would have cost $300 for a mechanic to do. Needless to say, some serious 'excellent wife' points have been deducted lately. So...to preface the conversation I decided to be cute...when all else fails...go for cute. After he's been bothering me for quite sometime about getting a new mountain bike, I decided to tell him I thought it was a really good idea and that I was on board with it. This was immediately followed with "What did you do?" We know each other so well...I can't get anything by him. Luckily my cuteness factor won over...and I think he's just getting used to my ability to ruin expensive important things, such that its almost unbelieveable it would all happen to one person.

2 days later it was time. We turned the laptop on and waited. Unbelieveably, it booted up, loaded and seemed completely fine save for a few sticky keys...which after much use are no longer sticky. Somehow, I got lucky again. Oh, and two days later, I spilled a glass of water all over our remotes.

Stay classy people. I am. :)

No comments: