Thursday, September 3, 2009

I Pledge

I Pledge to help families realize their greatest potential. I Pledge to have empathy for others, and always ask, "What's it like to be in their shoes?" I Pledge to live by actions, not words. I Pledge to live by the Golden Rule.

So I'm sure many people have seen the "I Pledge" video, a movement started by Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher. I *think* the video is being shown to youth in schools. Personally I think it's a very encouraging video, but it seems there are a lot of critics out there (as there always are). Here's my take:

A lot of the youth/families I work with don't have these kinds of voices in their home. A lot of the families have difficulty making it from one day to the next. A lot of these families don't think on a grander scale, about improving society at large, b/c they're too busy worrying about their own family. Sometimes the only real support they feel is from people at school, a teacher, mentor, fellow student, counselor, coach. People underestimate the power of those relationships. I've seen so many criticisms of the video its impossible to address them all. If you want a good look, go on YouTube (I Pledge!) and view the comments.

But before you criticize, I urge you to take the video for what it is, for what the youth will see. They'll see their favorite celebrities, recognizable faces, telling them to Pledge to SOMETHING, anything, that will make the world a better place. Is Obama's agenda pushed in the video? Definitely. Most of the pledges hit on bettering the environment, improving healthcare, etc. Are kids going to notice this and make the connection? It depends on their age and their level of awareness about Obama and what he's working for. Is there a Pledge in there that says "I Pledge to serve Barack Obama"? Yes. But this is ONE of MANY, MANY pledges in the span of a 4-5 min video. The pledges run the gammot from decreasing the use of plastic water bottles, to not using the plastic bags at the grocery store, to ending slavery all over the world, to increasing awareness about mental disease, to getting to know your neighbors and giving people a smile. It encourages change in every area of life, social, environmental, educational, spiritual, mental, and on. It encourages people to take a stand on something, be passionate about it, and do it, live it, breathe it.

Why do I like this video so much? Because it encourages a sense of personal responsibility. People want change, but want someone else to do it. People want change, but are willing to live in the uncomfortable because its familiar. People want change, but only if others change first. People want change, but don't want to put in the time and effort it takes to make it happen. People want change, but are afraid to put themselves out there for fear of being judged.

Think I don't believe this? I started this blog a year ago, and I named it "Be the Change" for a reason. Because I believe that we can all effect change. We can all do SOMETHING, no matter how small it is, to be a better person, and contribute some good to society.

What is your pledge?

No comments: