Thursday, August 20, 2009

i miss school

School started this week in Fort Collins.  Its been a busy week for my families, getting school supplies ready, and its been fun watching kiddos organizing their notebooks, folders and planners inside their backpacks.  A lot of friends on Facebook have been posting their kids "first day of school" pictures.  It makes me kind of long for those days.  Shopping for new outfits and new supplies, the feeling of excitement on the first day of school, organizing your school supplies and yes, the homework.   I remember having to get white "Keds" for gym class, and everyone used to tie them together underneath the desk chairs.  I remember reading...a lot.  I loved to read, and remember doing "Battle of the Books" and joining whatever reading program I could.  I remember Lisa Frank pencils and the plastic themed lunchboxes that came with a thermos inside of them.  And oh picture day...I still have all my school pictures and boy are those a treat to look at.  :o)  There were no lockers in elementary school, but hooks outside the classroom where you hung your backpack.   There was no worry that someone would walk by and steal anything.  I loved 'Spelling'...and actually won the school spelling bee one year!  I remember hypercolor shirts, New Kids on the Block, the brand names were Z Cavarricci, Calvin Klein and Espirit and you could find those at Boston Store.   I remember signs in the classrooms that had the word "Ain't" in a circle with a line through it.  I remember my name on the board with about 3 checkmarks after it b/c I talked too much.  That equaled about 30 min after school.  :o)  I remember being called "nosy" and I now wonder what those teachers would think of me becoming a therapist where all I do is talk with people about the intimate parts of their lives.  Hmmm....

Every now and then I get the itch to go back to school.  But then I remember that I don't get recess anymore, and the homework is not to do some problems on a paper but to write a 10-12 page paper, and that now I have to pay for it.  Maybe someday...but for now I'll just live vicariously through my kiddos.

No comments: