So far the job search for me has been frustrating to say the least. I've applied for several jobs that I've been completely qualified for (based on their job descriptions and listed requirements), but only had one callback. I had that interview yesterday, and that did not turn out as positively as I had hoped either. Don't get me wrong, the interview itself went well, I've never had trouble interviewing. However, my license to be a Marriage and Family Therapist in the state of CO is regulated differently here than it was in KS, and this has proved to be a frustrating thing to navigate. Basically, we realized during the interview that they couldn't use me, b/c I'm not a licensed provider yet here, whereas in KS I was. B/c I'm not licensed, I'm not insurance reimburseable, which means any services I would provide would be self-pay or on a sliding fee scale, and that doesn't sit well with companies who want to make money and bill insurance. So, I walked away from the interview not only frustrated at not getting the job...but frustrated with my profession as well. I know hindsight is 20/20, but if I had only known what the political climate of the world of MFT was like before I chose to go to grad school for that....I might have thought twice about the route I took to be a therapist. However, I was not well informed on the limitations of my field at this point in time, and here I am.
Today I emailed the director of the MFT program at Colorado State University to see if he or any of his faculty would be willing to sit down with me and explain to me what my options are here in CO. I really hope to hear back from him soon, b/c I really have no MFT connections in this state. I've been navigating the rules and regulations myself, and thought I understood them pretty well. I applied for licensure in CO well before I left KS, and as of last week still had not heard anything. I found out by the nice automated system they have on their phones that I could check the status of my application on their website. After doing this, I realized my application was incomplete. I again attempted to contact the lady handling my application, and after 2 messages over several days received a call back stating that I had another application to do and more money to send them in order for them to complete my status. Grrrrr. Another thing they don't tell you before grad school. You won't make squat in the human services profession, but you'll owe the state and your professional organization lots of money in order to have a job. This is definitely a profession that you better like what you do, b/c there's really no other reason to do it.
So, in the meantime, while I try to get this all figured out, I'm applying for anything and everything just to start bringing home some bacon. I'm getting lonely and tired of being at home everyday, so I need to get out and start meeting some people, and it'd be really nice if I could do that while making some money. I know this puts a burden on JP, b/c by the time he gets home from work the only contact I've had has been with the dogs (and the cat), and I'm starved for attention...just when he's ready to relax!!!
I'm trying not to get discouraged, but feel I already am. It's frustrating applying for jobs that do not meet the goals I have in mind for my career, or fit with the reasons I went to grad school in the first place. For instance, I wanted to increase my earning potential, and not only am I applying for jobs that pay well under what I should be making, but I spent a ton of money to obtain a higher degree and where is it getting me? I am a good therapist (or so my supervisors have told me) and I should be able to do what I love to do, which is help people. Why does all the political BS have to get in the way? Why can't every state have the same licensing requirements so that if you do relocate, you don't have to start back at square 1?? It just doesn't make any sense to me.
On a lighter note, if you haven't already, scroll down. I posted some pics of our "first hike". Enjoy!
Nursing Process Worksheet
4 years ago
1 comment:
Stacia,
I can sense the frustration and irritation in your writing. It seems like the Colorado BSRB is not on their game either.
I kind of get the feeling that you are struggling with the same disillusionment for the profession I felt last year. I think there is often a sense of ideology when one starts in this line of work. In one way or another, we are all assaulted with the reality of capitalism or cynicism in a business that is supposed to be about “helping.” It’s sad, but very, very true. My grief occurred when I experienced more dysfunction in my co-workers/colleagues then in most of my clients.
Anyway, I thought I would let you know I’m praying for you. Hang in there, you are a good therapist. The salary is a disappointment, but I’m sure you would agree that the reward is the process of therapy and change of others, not so much the dollars. I guess that is why so many therapists don’t make it more than five years.
Stacia, you have the heart of a therapist and that’s the key.
Have you thought about being a “life coach?” I’m only kidding.
I’ll be in touch. I miss you.
Love,
Amy
Post a Comment