Friday, July 11, 2008

yuk, yuk, and more yuk

Technically it's friday, although it still feels like thursday. I guess that happens when you watch one day turn into the next. Yep, here I am again, not sleeping. I think it's my own fault though, just have a lot going on with my thoughts and emotions. Today started off great but it just turned out to be a day of yuk.

I had an interview this morning for an Early Childhood Specialist position. It seems like a great position, so hopefully something will work out. At any rate, I'm just trusting God on this. I really have no control what is going to happen, so I've given up all control to him. I know that he's got a master plan, and right now it may not be my dream job...but maybe I'll meet someone who will lead me to my dream job. I know someday I'll understand why this or that happened. I mean, have you ever looked at your life and said...well if I hadn't done that then this wouldn't have happened, and so on? If I hadn't moved to Wichita it may have been another year or two before John and I got married. If we hadn't *randomly* chosen First E Free Church to attend one Sunday morning, we may never have met the two families whose relationships we treasure still today. If John had stayed in the military, who knows where we'd be!! I might not have gone to grad school in Wichita, and had I had much longer to decide I may have decided on a different program all together. Anyway, I know I'm getting a bit existential, but what got me thinking about this is I was listening to NPR tonight, and I heard about the book Replay (can't remember the author's name). But it was about that. He replays his life over and over again, making different decisions based on the outcome he already knew, trying and trying to avoid his ultimate fate...death at 42. Anyway, the message of the book is supposed to be that we shouldn't waste time looking back, but looking forward. I struggle with this all the time. I'm going to get this book.

**I just would like to post a warning that the next paragraph is probably rated PG-13 or R for content of a sexual nature. Please skip if you are a parent (Dad I'd just let Mom fill ya in if she wants to...cuz I know she's gonna read it cuz I'd tell her about it anyway!!), grandparent, or you embarrass easily...which I do not. I preface this by stating that I just want to share my experience for those of you who have not engaged in this modern societal practice...so you know what you're getting into!!

The yuk started when I went to get my bikini wax. I was in great spirits, about to do something really sweet for John in celebration of our anniversary. By the way...this was my first go at it. Maybe my last...I haven't decided yet. Anyway, my mood soured real quick as she pulled the first strip of wax off, well, you know where, and....it HURT, HURT, HURT SO BAD. And the hurt only got worse. I knew it was going to hurt but I didn't expect it to hurt THAT BAD. I've had my lip waxed and that hurts too but it's tolerable, esp since the lady always applies pressure following the wax to reduce the pain. This lady did not apply pressure...it was RIP, wax, RIP, wax. By the time she got to the right side, I had to take a break, and that's when the waterworks started...so embarassing. She kept asking, "You alright?....RIP....."Ugh"...."You alright?"....."Uh-huh".....RIP.... and so it went. She says, "At least you're not screaming." Why, do you want me to? I can turn it up if you really want me to...it hurts THAT MUCH. Sidenote: The name of this place is the "Screamin' Peach". Classy. Anyway...finally I said "I think that's the last one". She said "You sure? You dont' want to do the rear? It doesn't hurt as bad." I said, "Nope, I'm good." "Ok, that's your choice." Damn right it is. I can't believe I chose to do this in the first place...she gave me some oil to wipe wear I felt sticky and then I was out of there. I could barely walk I was so sore and swollen. As soon as I got home I aloed the affected area and grabbed a bag of ice. Yep....I iced my crotch. And it felt so good. And now, several hours later, I feel somewhat normal again. Still a little sore to the touch, but I can walk fine and I was even able to manage cleaning out the dishwasher. It was then that I realized I hadn't had any dinner, so Cheerios it is. Anyway...ladies who have done this...you feel my pain and are probably laughing at me. Ladies who have not done this, seriously consider your level of pain tolerance before you do.

**And we're back to the PG rating. Safe to continue reading.

Maureen called shortly after I got home so since I was still in the middle of dealing with the pain she got the full account of the event. She was very empathic! Anyway, I miss her so much it was so hard to talk to her. In the middle of our conversation I just started bawling b/c I really miss spending time with her, and I know it's been 5 years since I moved and I should be used to it by now...she sounds like she is...I don't know if I'll ever get used to it. Anyway, I managed to keep my emotions undercover so I don't think she was aware of anything, I didn't want to put that on her b/c there's nothing we can do about it. But I do miss her and it sent me into a tizzy for the rest of the night, thinking about how much I miss my peops back home. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that it has taken a lot longer to find work out here than I anticipated, and that has delayed meeting people that I could potentially develop friendships with. Mostly the only contact I have with people are the salespeople I interact with at various stores. I am a bit lonely, I admit it. Yuk 2.

Then John comes home after doing the mtn biking thing....and discovers he may have lost his wedding ring. Yuk event number 3. So tomorrow we have to retrace his steps from this evening and hopefully find his ring fast so we can then get on the road to Colorado Springs. If not...there's a great little Jewelry store in Old Town that sells some awesome looking titanium rings for an excellent price!!!!! ;) Ahhhh...what an anniversary week. :)

No comments: